The 10 best places to visit in the municipality of Porqueres (Girona).
The holiday house La Cabanya is located in the village of Mata (municipality of Porqueres) and here we offer a list of 10 places to visit in the municipality of Porqueres.
- Banyoles lake. The eastern half of the lake belongs to the municipality of Banyoles and the western half to the municipality of Porqueres. The surroundings of the lake have a special attraction: the green contrasts with the blue, the plain of the water with the mountains that surround it from afar; serenity, beauty… All this offers as many sensations as possibilities to participate: walking, contemplating, fishing, thinking, running… For every moment, for every situation and for every time of year the landscapes of the lake they are stimulating and welcoming.
- Les Estunes. It is a space of great natural value and this is revealed by its declaration as a geotope, an area of geological interest, and its inclusion in the Special Plan of Natural Interest. Travertine balms and cracks; oaks and spongy oaks; the beautiful legend of the Goges, the sharp silence and the cool shade, the climbing ivy and the discreet songs of the birds invite you to a quiet walk full of the peace of the place. The goges, aloges or water women, according to the legends, had it as their place of preference and reveled or spun there all night. They say that on serene nights someone still hears their songs and from afar you can see the glow of their parties.
- Can Ginebreda forest. A Mediterranean forest of 40,000 square meters that has become an open-air museum housing the sculptures, especially erotic, by the artist Xicu Cabanyes. The walk allows you to see more than a hundred works and also visit the artist's workshop. An open cultural and leisure space. Xicu Cabanyes is the author of more than 100 sculptures that awaken our senses and emotions.
- Romanesque church of Sant Andreu de Mata. It is a 12th century church with a single nave and barrel vault. The first reference to the parish is in 1019 when Bishop Pere Roger of Girona and the counts of Barcelona Ramon Berenguer and Ermessenda donated the church to the canonry of Girona. Its belfry with a steep roof on four sides with a wooden framework stands out. You can visit the church every Sunday at 11am.
- Puig Clarà and the lagoons of Can Morgat. Calm waters of changing colors over time; diverse and leafy vegetation with reeds, rushes and riparian trees that give life to a wide variety of animals: ducks, jackdaws, fish, amphibians…
- Estany d'Espolla. The groundwater that feeds this lake is part of the same lake system of Banyoles, and this intermittency is due to the higher altitude, 50 m, with respect to the Lake of Banyoles. Depending on the time of year, we can find it full or empty. It measures 360 m long by 145 m wide. The lake of Espolla is fed by a set of intermittent springs that behave like an overflow, of a karstic system of groundwater circulation. The beach is crowded during the rainiest periods, usually in the fall and spring. The pond overflows the waters towards the Fluvià and overcomes a drop of more than 80 m.
- Mata small station. The recovery of the old Mata stop, together with the reconstruction of a passenger car, has no other purpose than to remember that train of "sewn and patched" wagons that connected us with Girona from 1926 to 1956 and perpetuate its memory.
- Church of Santa Maria de Porqueres. The church is a jewel of the 12th century Romanesque style that has survived to the present day with few modifications. It was declared a National Monument on June 3, 1931. It has a single nave, a barrel vault and a semicircular apse. The nave is separated from the presbytery by a triumphal arch, a toral arch that rests on two large columns with beautifully sculpted capitals with religious motifs that sharply cut through the inner austerity. The apse has three semicircular apsidioles and there are also two side chapels.
- Workshop study by Carles Fontserè (Can Tista). Can Tista and Can Montguix are the two spaces where the poster artist, photographer, ninotaire, stage designer and writer Carles Fontserè lived and worked when he returned from exile in the early 1970s.
- Dolmen de Les Closes. It is the only dolmen currently known in the municipality of Porqueres. It is in the middle of the forest, on the right side of the road that leads to the urbanization of Puig Surís. No archeological remains were found when excavated. The mound that originally covered the dolmen today is still visible. All slabs are of local sandstone.